Sunday, July 31, 2011

I Need Help!

My mom likes to tell about how I used to chirp “I need help!” upon encountering situations I couldn’t handle on my own. My favorite phrase even encouraged my lovely, spunky grandmother to ask for help when her rheumatoid arthritis made it difficult for her to perform simple tasks.

Even though I’m (nearly) grown up, I’ve been realizing my need to use that phrase more.

This summer in particular, I’ve been struggling with my own self-centeredness. In many situations, I know I should protect the needs and desires of others, but I can’t. I can’t re-focus my attention away from myself and onto God and other people.

Last week I chanced upon Psalm 73:26: “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, my portion forever." Then I got it. God knows how difficult it is for me to focus on Him. He understands, because after all, He created me and understands all the inner mechanisms of my heart. And even though He still expects a holy, unselfish life from me, He gives me His power so I can live for Him. I’m so thankful for His grace—and help!

1 comment:

  1. That is crazy that you should bring up that verse. I just sent it yesterday to a friend in Marine Officer Training. It's very awesome (in the REAL sense of the word) that no matter how different our struggles are, God is our strength through all of them!

    ReplyDelete