It’s summer, and that means it’s time for books, books, and… more books!! :D And if you’re like me, you’re probably so lost in all the wonderful books out there, that you’re not sure where to start. Here are just a few of great titles that might pique your interest.
v The Gammage Cup—Carol Kendall
One of my all-time favorite children’s stories, this tale of the hobbit-like Minnipins against the Mushroom People is both delightful and thought-provoking. A great read-aloud.
v Ivanhoe—Sir Walter Scott
Heroic knights, courageous maidens, and Robin Hood… Ivanhoe has all the ingredients for an epic medieval tale. It also describes some portions of the history of Britain and the English language you may not have known before.
v Animal Farm—George Orwell
Orwell succeeds at creating a story that is both hilarious and frightening. An interesting and brief commentary on power and human nature.
v Democracy—Henry Adams
One of my professors assigned this book for a US History class, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this Jane Austen-style satire on American politics.
v Orthodoxy—G.K. Chesterton
Definitely one of the best books I’ve read for a long time! For a more detailed description, read my past blog post.
v Don’t Waste Your Life—John Piper
Get this book. Read this book. You won’t regret it, I promise!
v The Life You’ve Always Wanted—John Ortberg
Don’t let the title fool you: this book is more than a wishy-washy self-help guide. Ortberg examines biblical living in a way that will both challenge and inspire you.
Thank you for the recommendations! The boys will be reading The Gammage Cup next year for school! Can't wait!
ReplyDeleteI hope they enjoy it! I read it to my future roommate this year and she got "sucked in". ^_^ It's a great story!
ReplyDeleteShe, in turn, recommended it to me, and since I LOVED The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane I'm thinking I'll go with another recommendation of yours. ; )
ReplyDelete~Edith
Yay, Edith! ^_^ Hope you enjoy one of my favorites. Speaking of recommendations, I need to add The Goose Girl to my list of books to read this summer... ;)
ReplyDeleteIt's always good to see good books passed around and read! :D
ReplyDeleteJo - I had a question for you. Would you like a blog button? It seems like you need one, and I'd be happy to make one for you. Just email me a picture you'd like to use for it (you could even use the one for your header), and the words you'd like on it (probably what your header says). :)
Love,
~Melody
Dearest Melody,
ReplyDeleteCould you please explain to a semi-computer-illiterate blogger what a blog button is? This is probably something I should know and have heard of before, but simply can't remember... :( I'm always grateful and excited for all the help and wisdom you share with me.
Love,
Jo =)