Monday, January 3, 2011

Gym-uary

It’s that time of year: displays of Slim-Fast bombard us in the grocery stores and gyms are packed full of people trying to fulfill their New Years’ resolutions and work off all the Christmas cookies from the past month. January consists of 31 days dedicated to fitness and weight loss—that’s just a fact of life. Yet many people exercise out of guilt, not because they enjoy working out.

I can sympathize with them. Because I’ve never been athletic, exercise has always been more of a chore than a lifestyle. And when I took a phys ed class for college last semester, I discovered I had “gym-phobia.” The complicated machines puzzled me and the slim, muscled athletes intimidated me. I, who had never played a sport—or even owned a pair of gym shorts—felt very much out of place.

A fire drill once startled me while I was taking a paper to my professor’s office, which was located in the athletic building. It took me a couple of minutes to convince myself that I hadn’t triggered the ear-splitting alarm, just by being a non-athletic person in a gym!

Maybe you resolved to work out more in 2011, to lose weight or just to maintain a healthier lifestyle. But if you’re a “gym-phobe” like me, you may need a little extra motivation to stay consistent with your exercise. Here are a few ideas to help you get out there and get healthy.

v  Exercise your mind
In my misadventures at the gym, I discovered that if I occupied my mind while I exercised, time flew by faster and I actually enjoyed working out a little more. So take a book to read while cycling. Or fill your MP3 player with good music, a sermon, or an audio book to listen to during your workout.
v  Go outside
Yes, I know it’s January. But even if the weather is chilly, you can still bundle up to spend a few minutes outside. Going for a walk or bike ride in the fresh air can help you relieve stress and anxiety and “clear the cobwebs” from your brain so you can return to your daily routine with a fresh attitude.
v  Do it with a friend
Many people find that regularly working out with someone helps them stay consistent to their exercise plan. Plus, you can spend the time getting to know that person a little better. You could even make a habit of calling a friend or relative on your cell phone while you go for a walk to build relationships while building your health.
v  Think outside the box
Find some fun, nonconventional ways to exercise. Helping a friend move to a new house or apartment or rearranging the furniture in your living room can help you stay in shape—although you might be a bit sore afterwards! You could also volunteer at your local food bank or library to keep yourself moving and get your heart rate up. Or find some friends and go swing dancing for some lively exercise.

With my busy schedule, I may not have much time to spend at the gym this coming year—but I’ll keep looking for new and interesting ways to stay fit. Want to try that with me?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jo--I will! I'm not really athletic either, and I'm also a gym-phobe about machines. I found that Pilates is a fun way for me to work out, because all it requires is a mat and some space, but I haven't been good about keeping up with it. Thanks for the encouragement to be persistent. : )

    ReplyDelete