Last month I decided to start keeping track of some of the wonderful things I’ve been hearing and reading in chapel and classes. So I started out small and stapled a few index cards together to make a tiny book; when I want to write something down, I can simply whip my journal out of my ID holder and scribble away! My goal is to fill one of these books every month. So here are a few interesting—and hopefully inspiring—selections from my October journal:
"To learn and to live is to reflect."
“We only truly know who we are and experience the joy for which we were created when our life is not centered on self but on God and others.” –Dr. Dixon“O Lord, Thou hast set up many candlesticks, and kindled many lamps in me, but I have either blown them out, or carried them to guide me in forbidden ways.” –John Donne
“If only there were evil people somewhere, insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” –Alexander Solzhenitsyn
“God can make any indifferent thing, as well as evil itself, an instrument for good; but I submit that to do this is the business of God and not of any human being.” –Flannery O’Connor
“We cannot begin to experience humility in any other relationships until we experience a deep and profound humility in our attitude toward God.” –Jerry Bridges
“To move away from God is to move away from the source of reality.” –Dr. Mills
“Let God’s mercy be praised…even if this has taken place through our own destruction.” –Paulus Orosius
“Justice is what love looks like in public.” –Dr. Cornell West
“Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” –W.J. Bryan
“The eternal, holy, and unfathomable goodness of God does not allow us to wander in darkness, but shows us the way of salvation.” –Constantine
"He has not discovered Christianity, but Christianity has discovered him". I love this. What a perfect picture of God's sovereign, elect grace.
ReplyDelete