Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Maiden Scribble

“There's something delicious about writing those first few words of a story. You can never quite tell where they will take you.”  ~Miss Potter


Why “Marginalia”? According to Wikipedia (Gasp!! If you don’t trust me here, check your dictionary) the word means “notes, scribbles, and comments made by readers in the margin of a book.”

I have to admit, I did a double take when I stumbled across this word. What?!?! There’s actually a word for scribbling in books?? As a lifelong bookworm, I’ve always had a hard time writing in any book, even a boring old textbook.

Yet the concept of marginalia is actually pretty cool. The word itself doesn’t mean aimless doodling in the pages of a tedious school assignment, but thoughtful, intentional remarks—a personal commentary on the book.

This unique word describes my intention in embarking on a blog: to record my thoughts and observations on life. Since entering the world of college life, I’ve been learning so many fascinating things about God, truth, life, and other people that I’d like to share—and perhaps someone might enjoy reading.

Whether I post something serious or comical, a lengthy reflection or brief quote, I hope you’ll find something interesting here to capture your imagination and inspire you.

No comments:

Post a Comment